The Chestnut Hill School reaffirms its long-standing non-discriminatory policy of employment. CHS hires faculty and staff of any race, color, religion, gender, family structure, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally afforded or made available to employees at the school. The School does not discriminate in violation of any law or statute in the administration of its policies or programs. CHS is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to promote diversity through its hiring.
The Chestnut Hill School, founded in 1860 and located in Newton, Massachusetts, is a co-educational, independent school educating students from Beginners (age 3) through Grade 6. The School lives its mission of academic excellence, diversity and community, believing strongly that all must be in place in order for graduates to have a deep sense of themselves as thoughtful students, skilled learners, and confident leaders who will become responsible, contributing members of the world. CHS prides itself on graduates who stand up for their beliefs, express their thoughts, and care about the rights and feelings of others. Most of all, CHS is seeking individuals willing to join a strong, warm and deeply committed diverse school community.
Current Job Openings
Supervisor: Intern Coordinators
Intern teachers support lead teachers in the implementation of the academic program in grades K-6 as they gain experience to prepare for careers in education.
The Intern Teacher will:
- Support the mission of the school.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all students.
- Teach homeroom subjects in partnership with the cooperating teacher.
- Lead Open Circle Meetings in partnership with the cooperating teacher (as appropriate).
- Participate in and support the planning for special events/activities.
- Attend regular planning, grade-level, staff meetings, and intern cohort meetings as scheduled.
- Help to manage classroom transitions, including walking students to specials, lunch, and recess.
- Attend special subject classes as needed.
- Attend Faculty Professional Development Days, Curriculum Night (September) and Carnival (September).
- Contribute to reports each term.
- Attend all parent-teacher conferences.
- Contribute to communications to CHS families, including weekly website updates.
- Support the tone for routines and behavioral expectations set by the cooperating teacher.
- Reinforce any language, consequences, or strategies as appropriate.
- Maintain open two-way communication with cooperating teacher.
- Perform arrival, dismissal, recess, and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working with children
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse learning environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Equity and inclusion - Employee lives the stated mission of the school, and values and respects diversity in all facets of school life. Employee promotes equity and inclusion in work with students, families, and colleagues.
- Collaboration - In keeping with Chestnut Hill School’s commitment to a strong community, employee exemplifies cooperation and collaboration, demonstrates leadership when necessary, is a supportive team member when needed, and assists others to ensure deadlines and goals are met.
- Communication - Employee exercises clear, constructive, and appropriate communication with students, colleagues and administration in written and verbal communication.
- Critical observation and problem-solving - Employee shows the ability to not only gather information but to also interpret, analyze, and suggest next steps based upon data. Employee assesses problems and utilizes all available resources to resolve challenges through proper channels.
Interested candidates for the 2021-2022 school year should send resume to: Qiana Rudek and Gary McPhail, Intern Co-Coordinators, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Education: Teaching experience
Applications for substitute teaching positions may be submitted at any time during the school year. Substitutes are expected to arrive by 7:45 am and work until 3:15 pm Mondays through Thursdays; the hours are 7:45 am to 12:25 pm on Fridays. The pay rate is $85 to $100 per day Monday-Thursday and $50 to $60 per day on Fridays. Candidates for substitute teaching positions must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree, though preference will be given to candidates with a master's degree and/or experience in education.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to: Chris Cunningham, Academic Dean/Dean of Faculty, either at email@example.com or at The Chestnut Hill School, 428 Hammond St, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467.