Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Creating a Safe Space
CHS actively works to create an environment where all students feel seen, validated, and supported; where we provide safe and affirming identity spaces for all of our students and families.
Every CHS learner – from age 3 to grade 6 – explores the full spectrum of personhood as part of our curriculum, gaining a strong and proud sense of themselves as valuable, whole beings with a multitude of characteristics and talents, while developing empathy and respect for all people.
Providing Welcoming and Inclusive Spaces for Learning and Connection
CHS believes strongly in creating safe and affirming identity spaces for all of our students and families. Our Director of DEI works to offer support, consultation and services to address and dismantle systems that negatively impact marginalized groups, and create environments where all students feel seen, validated and supported at CHS.
The Chestnut Hill School is committed to building a community that understands and values our diverse world, and we actively seek students, faculty, and staff from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. Student affinities are voluntary and an important aspect of our thriving multicultural community, providing a space for students with shared experiences and backgrounds to come together and connect.
Affinity groups offered for 2022-23 include:
- Students of Color (identify as Black/Brown/Asian-Asian Heritage, Biracial, Afro-Caribbean, African American, LatinX, Hispanic)
- Asian Students (identify as East or South Asian, Asian Heritage, Asian American or Pacific Islander- AAIP)
- Black Boys / Black Girls (identify as African American, Afro Caribbean)
- Rainbow Kids (LGBTQA+ students, CHS students who are part of an LGBTQA+family, and for LGBTQA+ friends and allies)
- Banana Split Sundaes (for students whose parents are living in separate homes, separated, divorced or students living within blended families)
- Equity Social Justice (alliance/interest group offered to students interested in social justice/equity and allyship)
The gatherings above are facilitated by CHS adults who identify with these affinities.
Resources for Families and Students
Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion serves as a resource to all school constituencies and provides support and education for the full incorporation of equity and inclusivity into educational programming, community life, and institutional practice. As a member of the senior administrative team, the Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion facilitates thinking about identity development, equity and social justice, inclusive community-building, cultural responsiveness, and social/emotional health.